A.      The Special Investor Resident Visa (SIRV) entitles the holder to reside in the Philippines for an indefinite period as long as his investment subsists. Any alien, except restricted nationals under the Foreign Services Code, may apply for an SIRV provided he meets the following requirements:


A.      He has not been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude.

B.      He is not afflicted with any loathsome, dangerous or contagious disease.

C.      He has not been institutionalized for mental disorder or disability.

D.      He is willing and able to invest the amount of at least US$75,000.00 in the Philippines.


B.      SVEG – Special Visa for Employment Generation (E.O. 758)- The SVEG is a special visa issued to a qualified non-immigrant foreigner who shall actually employ and maintain at least ten (10) Filipinos in a lawful and sustainable enterprise, trade or industry. Qualified foreigners who are granted the SVEG shall be considered special non-immigrants with multiply entry privileges and conditional extended stay, without need of prior departure from the Philippines.


The privileges of this Executive Order may extend to the qualified foreigner’s spouse and dependent unmarried child/children below eighteen (18) years of age whether legitimate, illegitimate or adopted.


For purposes of securing an SIRV, only ownership of shares of stocks in the following shall be accepted as eligible forms of investment, to wit:


A.      In existing corporations:

·         Publicly-listed companies

·         Companies engaged in Investment Priorities Plan (IPP) Projects, or

·         Companies engaged in the manufacturing and services sectors.


B.      In new corporations:

·         Companies engaged to be engaged in the manufacturing and services sectors, or

·         Companies engaged to be engaged in IPP Projects


The government has liberalized visa requirements for foreign entrants to encourage foreign participation in the economic development of the Philippines. Among the liberalized rules are the following provisions:


A.      Foreign stockholders, investors, representatives of investment houses, land developers and tourism developers are among the categories entitled to the special visa incentive, which grant privileges to certain foreign nationals.

B.      Aliens entitled to enter the country under the provisions of a treaty of amity, commerce and navigation may be admitted as non-immigrants. They are given treaty-trader visas for the sole purpose of carrying on substantial trade between the Philippines and the state of which they are nationals.

C.      Foreign technicians may be admitted to the Philippines with a pre-arranged employment visa if their employees can prove that the skills they possess are not available in the country.


Entry Visa


Foreign nationals may come to the Philippines for reasons of business, pleasure or health with a temporary visitor’s visa. This visa allows stays for periods of 59 days, extendible for a maximum of one year. To extend their stay, visitor’s must register with the Bureau of Immigration or with the office of the municipal or city treasurer in areas outside Manila. Executive Order No. 408 allows foreign nationals, except those of specifically restricted nationalities, to stay in the Philippines for up to 21 days without a visa.


Work Permits


In general, a foreign national seeking employment in the Philippines, whether resident or non-resident, must secure an Alien Employment Permit (AEP) from the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE). An AEP is valid for one year from the date of issue and may be renewed subject to the approval of the DOLE. Executives of area or regional headquarters and OBUs, as well as treaty trader visa holders, are exempt from the requirement to obtain alien employment certificates.


A local employer who wishes to employ a foreign national must apply on the foreign national’s behalf with the DOLE for the permit. The petitioning company must prove that the foreign national possesses the required skills for the position and that no Filipino is available who is competent, able and willing to do the specific job for which the foreign national is desired.


To ensure a proper transfer of technology, the DOLE requires the employers of foreign nationals to provide an Understudy Training Programme (UTP) and to designate at least two Filipino understudies. The functions of these employers must be deemed permanent, and they must require skills or expertise that are scarce in the Philippines.


Special Residents

The SRRV is managed by the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA). Its primary role is to promote and grant the SRRV’s to would-be retirees, and to offer a range of services, benefits, and comfort that would make their stay worthwhile.




Once you are SRRV Visa holder, it opens the door to vast opportunities and benefits. These include:


·          Option to Retire Permanently

·         You may live, work and study in the Philippines


·          Multiple Entry Privileges

·         You may travel outside the Philippines and re-enter anytime.


·         Exemptions from:

·         Income tax from your pension and annuities;

·         Exit and re0entry permits of the Bureau of Immigration;

·         Annual registration requirement of the Bureau of Immigration;

·         Customs Duties and Taxes with regard to the importation of household goods and personal effects up to US$7,000.00

·         Travel tax, if you stay in the Philippines is less than one year from the last entry date; and

·         I-Card

For more tails, you may log on to www.pra.gov.ph


Treaty Traders Visa (applicable only to Japanese, Germans and Americans)


This visa is issued to a foreigner who:


A.      seeks to develop and direct the operation of the company in the Philippines.


B.      is not applying for a non-immigrant visa in order to avoid the requirements or limitations applicable to an immigrant.


C.      intends to leave the country upon the completion of his contract


D.      is employed by an actual company and not by a bogus organization

If an applicant is from the United Sates of America (USA), he must prove that

A.      he is engaged in a trade according to the trade and commerce agreements of the Philippines and the United States


B.         he intends to leave the country upon the completion or termination of his contract


C.      his employer is a foreign national or the company  he intends to work with is foreign –owned; and he must hold a supervisory or an executive position


D.      he holds special qualification as a supervisor or executive officer of a foreign company (if underage)


Note: The Treaty Trader’s Visa is valid for one year.