Play On! Get a load of Pinoy Mobile Games at GSTAR 2016
A number of young Filipinos are evolving from being one of the fast growing smartphone users to emerging mobile game developers. Six local game development studios are set to showcase their mobile games at the GSTAR 2016 in Busan, Korea from November 17 to 19, 2016. Their participation was made possible by the Board of Investments (BOI) upon the invitation of the ASEAN-Korea Centre (AKC), an intergovernmental organization that aims to promote exchanges among Korea and ASEAN member states.
The members of delegation come from the Game Development Association of the Philippines (GDAP) and the International Game Development Association (IGDA)–Manila. Aside from the Philippine delegation, AKC sponsored the participants from (8) other ASEAN member states, namely: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
On its 12th year, G-STAR 2016 (Game, Show, Trade, All Round) is dubbed as the 4th largest international game exhibition, which is a yearly event organized by the Korea Internet and Digital Entertainment and managed by Busan IT Promotion Agency. The event will be held at BEXCO Exhibition Center in Busan.
Uploading their games to the ASEAN exhibition platform are Filipino creative play masters represented by the following companies:
- Indigo Entertainment’s games are targeted for children to adolescents as some of their clients are Disney (Snow White Forest Adventure, Star Wars Rebels: Strike Mission), Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon (Sponge Bob Square Pants: The Krusty Krab Presents Boogie Bob Dance Pants, Fairly Odd Parents Wishing 101).
- OutResource Global, Inc. is a game development service company that also develops their own products.
- YangYang Mobile’s latest game, The Letter, is a horror visual novel where one can choose from seven playable characters on an interactive environment. The demo can now be downloaded on Steam Greenlight and their official site.
- Audacity Studio is a premier game and web development studio which was formed three years ago and started the business as graphic designers. The team is now into game asset, 3D and animation production.
- White Widget which created Appirio, Cut Cut Cut and Vegas Ninja, is a startup company, which apps have been featured on the Play Store. A company to look out for, they are focused on releasing games for iOS, Android, web and desktop platforms.
- Aardvark Mobile Games boasts of its Filipino-driven game, the Jeepney Adventure, which hopes to be finished soon. Some 15 artists, based in Bacolod City, are working as a team to develop the game.