PH to host 1st ASEAN Electric & Hybrid Vehicles Summit, aims to strengthen partnership among member states in pushing for electrification of ASEAN transport sector
The Philippines will be hosting the first ASEAN Electric &Hybrid Vehicles Summit on June 29 and 30, 2017 at the World Trade Center in Pasay City, bringing together over 600 industry players and stakeholders from ASEAN Member States (AMS) to discuss technology, innovation, policy, regulatory, environmental, and market topics that impacts all aspects of the industry’s value chain.
With the theme “Strengthening Partnerships for Greener Transport in ASEAN and Beyond”, the Summit aims to reinforce cooperation among public and private stakeholders to further promote electric vehicles (EVs)and hybrids and aggressively push for the electrification of the ASEAN transport sector.
The Summit is one of the official events hosted by the Philippines in line with its chairmanship of ASEAN2017. It is jointly organized by the Philippine Board of Investments (BOI), the Electric Vehicle Association of the Philippines (EVAP), the Chamber of Automotive Manufacturers of the Philippines, Inc. (CAMPI), and the Manila Electric Company (MERALCO).
“The Summit is very timely as it proceeds from the strategic goals set during the 22nd ASEAN Transport Ministers (ATM) Meeting in November 2016 held in Manila to formulate a regional policy framework to support sustainable transport which includes low carbon modes of transport, energy efficiency and user-friendly transport initiatives, integration of transport and land use planning and the previous meeting which calls on the AMS to intensify regional cooperation in the development of sustainable transport-related policies and strategies including the formulation of a Fuel Economy Roadmap for the transport sector in ASEAN,” said BOI Executive Director for Industry Development Services Ma. Corazon Halili-Dichosa.
EVAP President Rommel T. Juan mean while said the association is initiating the establishment of an ASEAN Federation of Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Industries (AFEHVI) that will promote the active collaboration among industry players in the ASEAN region and their international counterparts, accelerating the deployment of electric and hybrid vehicles to achieve greener mobility for cities and countries in ASEAN. “The ASEAN federation will serve as the unified voice of the ASEAN electric and hybrid vehicles industry similar to established global umbrella organizations such as the Electric Vehicle Association of Asia Pacific (EVAAP); European Association for Battery, Hybrid and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (AVERE) and Electric Drive Transportation Association (EDTA) in the U.S.,” Mr. Juan said.
CAMPI President Atty. Rommel R. Gutierrez, on the other hand, said his group is supportive of the government’s direction towards sustainable transport development saying “the promotion and successful adoption of advanced/green vehicle technology are among the major advocacies of CAMPI.”
“We are optimistic that the Summit will serve as a platform for the creation of a roadmap for the successful adoption of advanced/ green vehicle technology in the ASEAN region. At the local level, we hope that this event through the active participation and vehicle showcase of our member brands, will increase awareness on Electric and Hybrid vehicles and generate much needed support from government and other stakeholders,” Atty. Gutierrez said.
The highlights of the Summit include a ceremonial turnover of i-MiEV and outlander PHEV by Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) to the Department of Environment & Natural Resources (DENR) and the Department of Trade & Industry (DTI) and signing of a Memorandum of Agreement.
There will also be a signing of a Memorandum of Agreement establishing the AFEHVI by Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
The other Summit highlights include:
- Staging of the first ASEAN EV Technology World Exhibition which will feature the CAMPI Pavilion showcasing electric and hybrid cars manufactured by members of CAMPI in addition to the EVAP members exposition of e-jeeps, e-shuttles, e-buses, e-tricycles and e-bikes and charging stations;
- Conferment of the E-Mobility Awards to Outstanding Local Government Units in recognition of their outstanding contribution to promoting electric and hybrid vehicles in their locality and adopting green mobility as one of their strategies towards achieving sustainable development;
- Keynote Messages by Key Government Officials from the DTI, Department of Transportation (DOTr), Department of Energy (DOE) and DENR;
- Country Reports by Leaders from the different EV & Hybrid Industry Associations on the Current State of their respective industries;
- Panel Discussions on: Presentations on how to create a successful ASEAN EV & Hybrid Ecosystem from Global EV & Hybrid Organizations, Forum on Battery Technologies and Charging Protocols, and Updates on the Impact of Paris Agreement Entry Into Force on the Transport Sector; and
- Product Technology And Solutions Presentations and a Raffle of Electric Bikes for the 2 day Conference.